Pages

Saturday 28 November 2009

Novembers Inspiration

Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema (8 January 1836 Dronrijp, the Netherlands - 25 June 1912, Wiesbaden, Germany) was one of the most renowned painters of late nineteenth-century Britain.

Born in Dronrijp, the Netherlands, and trained at the Royal Academy of Antwerp, Belgium, he settled in England in 1870 and spent the rest of his life there. A classical-subject painter, he became famous for his depictions of the luxury and decadence of the Roman Empire, with languorous figures set in fabulous marbled interiors or against a backdrop of dazzling blue Mediterranean sea and sky.

Universally admired during his lifetime for his superb draftsmanship and depictions of Classical antiquity, he fell into disrepute after his death and only in the last thirty years has his work been reevaluated for its importance within nineteenth-century English art.

Lawrence Alma-Tadema 'A Greek Woman'


As this is not a hard or difficult painting to draw inspiration from, it would be a good piece to do of your mum/mother-in-law, could be done vintage or shabby chic style, wedding, communion, garden etc............. The possibilities are endless........cant wait to see what you all come up with :)

Entries for Novembers Challenge will close on
Saturday 28th November at midnight SHARP!

Cheers
Shazza

17 comments:

  1. wow i love this - really stunning painting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shazza this is wonderful! You're so right, so many possibilities here, I'll definitely try to play along this month!
    xxx Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. i cant wait to see what you all come up with this month.............an awesome painting to get inspiration from

    ReplyDelete
  4. it so vintage style awesome shazza.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had fun drawing inspiration from this one! Looking forward to seeing all your beautiful creations!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a beautiful, elegant painting... It lends itself so well to delicate, vintage and shabby-chic layouts! Have fun! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah baby - lovin this one

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmm...vintage may just push my limits i think...lol...i'll see what i can come up with...lovely artwork!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, thanks for visiting my blog!!! Love yours and def will follow this one and try to play along!! Thanks again!
    Love this painting btw, lots of inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got mine done! I will photograph it in the morning , do I just email it to you??
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for visiting me and for the nice comment! You got me...I'm following! :) Have a super day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great challenge. I haven't had a chance to do a layout yet, but I whipped up a quick card.
    http://myscrapintime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Came to follow as well! Thanks for the invite! Glad you found my blog! Hope to play along this month as well...beautiful painting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here is mine.....TFL! :):):):):):):):):):):)


    http://thetuckerwolekclan.blogspot.com/2009/11/mrs-griswoldyoure-lights-are-waiting.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here is my entry~

    http://lotstoscrap.blogspot.com/2009/11/october.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Alma Tadema is one of my favorites.
    Here's my entry - a LO I made for my mom's 60th birthday
    http://alma7challenges.blogspot.com/2009/11/moms-60th-birthday.html

    Yael

    ReplyDelete